Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Who Are We Hurting??

This will NOT be a popular post but since I only have a few followers, I shouldn't offend too many.

First I want to start out by saying that I do NOT think that everyone should homeschool. I do NOT think that all Christians should homeschool. I think everyone is capable but not everyone is called to homeschool. I get that , I understand that.

Second, I do NOT think that homeschooling in anyway ensures that you will have sinless children that grow up into sinless adults. We all sin, that is why we need a savior. If you all have met my children, you can see 1st hand that they're not sinless, nor perfect. Homeschooling does not necessarily make adolescent years easier or better. It doesn't guarantee a successful career.

That said.......

Over the years, I've had Christian women look me in the face, over and over and say, " I don't homeschool because I want my children to be a light to the world.".

For many years I sat back and watched the fruit of their decision and I have NEVER seen that actually play out. Oh i'm sure there are some that have children who never strayed from the Lord, or who never made bad decisions but I'm sure you will agree with me when I say , "Those are few and far between."

As i've gotten older, I've had more time to think about that and why it bothers me so much.

1st. As i've said, it never seems to happen. What I see are young ones who are swallowed up by the world and liberal thinking. Constantly battling their parents teaching vs. the indoctrination going on in the schools. Pile on that with some hormones and peer pressure and their light dims...and for most...goes out.

God's Word is RICH in Wisdom and yet we choose to go our own way...

He Tells us over an over, "Flee from sin and temptation..."

"A wise man feareth, and departeth from evil: But the fool rageth on  and is self-confident"
Prov. 14:16

"He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: But a companion of fools shall be destroyed.
Prov. 13:20

"Now flee from youthful lusts and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart." 
2 Tim 2:22

Why do we throw our children in the midst of all that temptation and then make , what can only be the most "godly" excuse we can come up with?? 

When women say that to me, I stop and ask, "Have you spoken to your children about purity?".
The answer is ALWAYS "yes!!"
I question, "Has your child chosen purity?" 
The Answer, "Yes". 
I ask again, "Would you allow your daughter, to be alone with a boy when they were attracted to each  other?? 

The answer: "No!" 
Me; "Why?"
Answer: "To tempting" <--- answer.="" form="" nbsp="" of="" some="" span="" that="">

So I look at them and say, "That's what you're doing when  you send them to school. You're saying, stand up agains ALL THAT TEMPTATION...be "different" and don't give in". 

At that point the conversation ends. I hope and pray my analogy gives them something to chew on. 

Now, i'm not saying that they should take their child out of school....I'm not saying that having them in school is a bad thing....
What I am saying is, "STOP FOOLING YOURSELF" 
We hurt our children when we expect them to rise above the temptation that everyone else has. They're not Jesus. There is no way a child can be in such a worldly situation every day, for 180 school days and NOT be affected by it. 

Which brings me to my 2nd issue.....

We are lying. We're lying to our children if we expect them to stand up... we stop our children from coming to us and saying, "I need help, I can't stand up alone"... after all, their parents expect them to be a light!!! See how that could back fire on you??? 

We tell other young mom's about this and they think THEY need to raise children who can stand up against that temptation!! We are teaching an expectation that is UNATTAINABLE!!!! 


I think we need to be real!! honest!! 
I've had mom's look at me and say, "I know homeschooling would be better, I just can't do it!!' 
Ya know what?? I RESPECT that. That is an honest answer. 

Homeschooling is NOT easy. IT's not always fun....and regardless of all the blog posts you've seen and pictures you've seen...we ALL have bad days. We question ourselves. WE NEVER feel like we're doing enough. IT's hard. 

So when a mom is REAL and tells me, "I just don't want to do it". I can relate. 

The Lord tells us to "Flee from Sin". 

Stop lying to yourself...Give your children a chance and let them KNOW that you expect it to be hard. Let them know they can come to you. The ONLY way they can be a "Light in the World" is if they know that they can come to YOU!! You can pray for them in areas that they need help with. It's better if our children are HONEST with us and let us know the areas they need help in. 

Maybe that's the true light we shine?? Our REAL , imperfect selves...leaning on the one and ONLY God who can help us through all these trials?? Not a perfect person, who has it all together. Which is what i'm hoping, because if that's a "light", then I WILL SHINE BRIGHTLY with all my imperfections. 

Loving, Learning and Leaning on Christ!!! 
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Back to School 2022!!