Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My Cloth Diapering Adventures

It seems that cloth diapering can become addicting. Yes, even something as mundane as changing your baby's diaper can become fun...when you're as nuts as I am.

Sarah has a sensitive tushy. This is odd because she doesn't seem to have any allergies at all. Either way...she was NOT doing well with the expensive , fancy pocket diapers I was using. Bum Genius and Fuzzy Bunz. I loved those diapers. They were easy to use, easy to wash, and easy to use out in public. Basically the best of both worlds...the ease and comfort of disposables, the natural , non-chemical , cuteness of cloth. With the exception of having to wash dirty diapers every evening..these were a pleasure to use.

She got a horrible rash around 8 months old...around the time that she weened from nursing. I thought it was yeast, acidic urine, etc. I didn't want to think about her being allergic or sensitive to the suede cloth of the pocket diapers I was using.

Finally the rash cleared up. I was using disposable diapers for a while. The disposables didn't help the rash...but it did finally clear up. I put her back into her cute pocket diapers...viola'...the rash came back!! I had to admit to myself that It may be the diapers...but what could I use? What would I do? I had stayed away from the dreaded prefolds and wraps this long. Could it be? Was I going to have to try those? UGH!!! I didn't want to use them. They're so boring, and old fashioned...and ugh..you have to pin those.

I came to my senses and decided to try them. I purchased some prefolds and some cute wraps. Who knew they made such cute diaper covers? I purchased a "Snappi" which would keep me from having to use those dreaded pins and I was on my way to prefold heaven. (dripping with sarcasm here)

I got the prefolds in the mail and they were flat. I had to wash them in extremely hot water and dry them...not once, not twice but FIVE times. So far I wasn't loving these things. After about 3 washings and dryings, They were fluffy and soft. Now I was starting to like them. I continued with another two washings as per the instructions and then couldn't wait to try them.

I put Sarah on the table...got out the prefold and began to use what I thought would be the worst diapers EVER!!

I got the prefold on...it was easier then I thought. I had watched videos and it turned out to be easy. I then put on the cover and was pleasantly surprised at how trim they were. I thought to myself, "Lets see how they handle over night".

I awoke the next morning and changed Sarah...her diaper was FULL..not one leak!! Those prefolds held everything and I mean EVERYTHING. I was beginning to like these.

That evening I was really happy with prefolds. They had done a great job all day, and Sarah's bum never looked better!! 100% cotton was working for her. The best part came at the end of the day and I had to wash the prefolds. It was so much easier. I washed the covers seperately and hung them to dry. The prefolds I was able to wash and I didn't have to worry about any PUL linings or Aplix. It was a pleasure. With each washing the prefolds get fluffier and fluffier.

Now i'm in LOVE with prefolds and wraps. I love the way they absorb and I get a trimmer fit then with the pocket diapers. Which means that her clothes fit her better.

I've learned about fitted prefolds..these are prefolds that are cut and put on like a regular diaper. Not only are these much easier, I can convert my prefolds into these myself and save myself some money. I've never done it before, but I've got a sewing machine a serger and the desire to learn. I was even thinking about decorating them with some fabric? I think I could do it. I'll post pics if I'm successful at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Back to School 2022!!