Thursday, August 1, 2013

Kindergarten............Again???

It's been a while but hopefully someone will be helped by this post....or my humiliation. Either way, enjoy.

Earlier in the year I decided to use MFW k for Sarah. We had done a lot of pre-k work and were ready to take the plunge. I purchased MFW K and started it. It was not for us. It was very slow moving and at this point, Sarah already knew her ABC's...and the sounds. This curriculum is cute but is more pre-K in my opinion.
I sold it and ......

What did I do?? I decided to go with Sonlight. Same type of curriculum , I used it with my older two children. What I liked was that the books were more mature...
we got our two HUGE boxes from sonlight and organized for the year.

I started using it and quickly became disappointed. I did NOT like their science and history...they use the Usborne books and i'm not a fan of those books. As time when on, I was using less and less of their books. The phonics moved too slowly and I wasn't crazy about some of their books.

what's a mom to do??

I was going to continue using it. It was only kindergarten....right?

I went to a local showing of BJU curriculum and was blown away. Sarah is a visual learner. She loves when I read to her but this curriculum was great. The phonics moves a bit faster, the DVD's are very cute and enjoyable. I was really shocked that I would even consider this curriculum...SHOCKED. My style is more like MFW and SL but I knew in my heart that Sarah would love BJU.

Now I didn't want to use SL for Kindergarten...but BJU. What would my husband think?? As it was he thought I was a bit crazy. You would think with 4 children, 2 I've already homeschooled through high school that picking the curriculum would be the easy part??

I tried to sell it, but couldn't sell it for what I would need. Then I remembered that SL has a return policy...a great one!! They would take back all my stuff and issue me a full refund...yay!! Except that I had already put the pink stickers on all the readers. So I sent back everything except the readers and sold the complete set of readers to another homeschooling mama. I did lose money but not as much as I thought I would.

I decided to go with BJU and use their dvd's.
I just completed organizing and getting everything ready for Monday. Our first official day of Kindergarten will be Aug. 5th, 2013. Sarah is very excited.

As I was prepping BJU , I could tell that Sarah was going to enjoy it. Sarah saw the manipulatives and got excited. The phonics moves faster and has them reading early with in the first month. This is what we needed. Sarah may struggle with some of it, but it's kindergarten and that's ok.
She keeps asking me to start, I keep holding her off.

The moral of my embarrassing story is ......

"Never say , " never""... This is one thing the Lord keeps showing me over and over again.

I Never in a million years thought that i'd be using BJU. This was the type of curriculum I stayed away from, after all, "It's school at home" and i'm "Homeschooling"...life is about learning.....who needs a curriculum like that??

Me!! that's who.

Pride cometh before a fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Back to School 2022!!