Saturday, August 10, 2013

Kindergarten - Week 1

 
 
Week 1 of BJU Kindergarten is complete! I think we found the curriculum for us. At least for this year. I'm learning to take it year by year and to NEVER say, "Never" to any curriculums.
The first week was mainly review of some basic prek concepts. Sarah loved the dvd's . The teachers are really sweet, and they make everything very interesting. Sarah enjoyed the characters , like Hopscotch for Language arts and really loves Melody-Joy for Bible. What I liked is that they go over each topic in detail, they interact with the student. Sarah answers questions and sings. One of the benefits is that my 2-1/2 year old, David is also enjoying it. I didn't think that he'd enjoy it so much. Not only is he enjoying it but he participates and is learning. This is a great benefit because I don't have to worry about keeping him busy and we can all enjoy this year together.
 
Another benefit of this curriculum is that the worksheets are not the same over and over again. This keeps Sarah's attention. We love the craft idea on Fridays and the snack recipe that goes along with the week. This is really an easy curriculum to use and everything you need comes with it. Everything unless you suddenly need something for a participating 2 year old.
 
Another benefit is that their phonics is a bit faster than most of the others. They don't do a "letter a week", they start reading in the first month. This was something we needed because Sarah learned her phonic sounds very young.
 
This curriculum is thorough enough and exceeds the CCS but also you can add to it if there is something your child is interested in. Sarah loves natures and right now is into finding worms to make a compost bin. I can actually add some note booking pages about this to her curriculum. Our coop days will not be an issue and will actually fit in nicely for Art, Music and Gym. Also a weekly trip to the library is a great idea.
 
During the week I hang up all Sarah's worksheets on the fridge. At the end of the week, I take a picture for her year book ,staple all the pages together, mark it, "Week 1" and put them away. I'm only keeping them so that at the end of the year, she see how much work she did and how much she learned. We will then probably burn all the papers in our backyard fire pit and roast marshmallows to celebrate the end of Kindergarten.
 


I know many think that homeschooling is hard....time consuming and I never "Get a break"....it really isn't that bad. I LOVE it. I couldn't imagine not being with them. I couldn't imagine missing the first time something makes sense or the first time they sound out a word. When I watch David say, "Stand up" when he knows they're going to sing with Melody-Joy for Bible, it makes my heart want to burst. Yes, I don't get as much time as i'd like to get my nails done, or go to the gym as often as I'd like...but I wouldn't trade this time with them for anything!!!

God Bless




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Back to School 2022!!