Monday, August 12, 2013

Don't Worry, I've Done This Before................

This was how I felt as I was quickly approaching Kindergarten with Sarah. I've homeschooled two children through high school. I figured Kindergarten was going to be easy to decide.

I quickly learned that each child is different and that there are TONS of new curriculums out there. I found it overwhelming. I figured that if I found it overwhelming, I can't imagine what it must be like for parent's who are doing this for the first time.

1st i'd like to say that "less is more". While I appreciate all the different curriculums, sometimes having less to chose from makes it MUCH easier. Kinda like my wardrobe. I don't have much to chose from because i'm always gaining or losing weight, so what fits this week , may not next week. I just pick what isn't stained and fits. yes, I'm aware that i'm a fashion nightmare. Too bad we can't apply this logic with curriculums. Or can we?

What fits with one child, may not fit with others. You may have a few children and they can be polar opposites in how they learn. This isn't really a problem but money does play a big role in our decision.

This year I was set on using My Father's World. This is an easy going, gentle approach to kindergarten and I really like it. Too bad my daughter didn't. It wasn't for her. Then I tried Sonlight, this was like MFW but not as gentle. I didn't like this one.

I decided to try Bob Jones university. I never thought I would use their curriculum , let alone the dvd's but it seems to be a great fit.

I love that it's visual, the workbook pages are brightly colored, the characters are adorable. The Godly characters and themes make learning fun. This is a curriculum that I can use no matter what type of learning style my child has. This is a versatile curriculum. I was a little concerned about the cost. My husband put it into perspective for me. He said, "If this is what we think is best for our children, then we will come up with the money."
He's right. It's expensive but if it's something that we will ALL enjoy , then it's worth every last penny.

One thing I've realized is that every child and home is different. I think one of the lessons I've learned is that what works for me, may not work for every family. It's ok to CHANGE CURRICULUMS.

If you start with a curriculum in Kindergarten, you don't need to use that same curriculum every year. You will not ruin you child. Children are very forgiving....as is their education.

I look at it this way. What If your child was in public school and you moved? There's a good chance that when they moved, their education wouldn't line up perfectly with that district. Does that mean that their education was inferior??? NO, just different. Sometimes information or topics are covered in different grades but they're ALL COVERED. What difference does it make if they learn Botany is 5th and Biology in 6th?? They're going to learn and get what they need.

As parents we can fret over making the smallest decisions. Ask me how I know?

I loved that I had some time between schooling my older two children and my younger two children. I can't imagine the different curriculums that will start to show up in the next 5 years. Part of me is looking forward to it...and another part of me is scared.

God Bless,
Laura,
Mother to 4 blessings, ages 22, 21, 5 and 2-1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Back to School 2022!!