Tuesday, August 18, 2009

ASL

I've always wanted to learn sign language. I found a great dvd series called "Baby Signing Time". This is a dvd series for infants up to age three. It's visual, audio and musical. Babies love it.

Sarah loves this series. I haven't allowed her to watch tv, except signing time. From the time she was about 6 months old, I'd put on the dvd and watch it with her. It's the only show that actually keeps her attention.

I started this because I wanted to teach her ASL. I really didn't think it would keep tantrums at bay. I was wrong. The benefits are amazing. Sarah has an extensive vocbulary and understands many , many words and commands. What I didn't expect was her talking and signing at the same time. She uses many signs at a year old and will also say them.

She currently signs:
Mom
Dad
eat
milk
banana (this is funny when she signs it)
more
pancake (she loves my home made pancakes)
signing, as in "Signing Time"
water

She often uses her hands but i'm not sure she's really signing anything .

Like when babies start talking her sign language is not precise. She'll sign "mama" and "water" the same way. These signs both are located in the lower part of the face..chin area.

What I wasn't prepared for was her ability to say the words at the same time. She'll sign mama and say it. "water" and say Wa...Pancake, and say "cake". it's really amazing.

I hope to continue with this series. I have all of the "Baby signing Time" dvd's. There are only 4 in this series but they've also got a "Signing Time" series for older children. I'm going to start getting those...I've got to learn with her. :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Back to School 2022!!