Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Making Cursive Fun!!



How can we make cursive fun? This is a tough question. 
I don't usually worry about making everything fun. I know that is what most people focus on, but to be honest, I don't. There are many things in life that are simply, NOT fun. No matter how hard you try. I find that attitude plays a bigger role. If we complain about doing something, then it will be hard, boring, annoying....fill in the adverb. 

I usually don't allow complaining, and we constantly go over scripture about not complaining. 

"For out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks. The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil" 
Matthew 12:34-35

" Do all things without grumbling or disputing, that you may be blameless in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world." 
Philippians 2:14-15

There are so many great scriptures about having the right mind-set, holding our thoughts captive & and not trusting our own hearts. Clearly, the Lord knew that our attitudes would be our biggest challenge. 

Nothing exemplifies this concept like homeschooling. I've seen my intelligent, hard-working, happy children go from joyful to down-right UGLY due to poor attitudes. This is probably why I've worked so hard on this issue. Not that we're better than most, but that we've got an issue with this.  I'd like to say that they get it from me, but that would be too transparent and open for me. 👻

For Christmas, my husband surprised me with an Ipad Pro. I was amazed!! It was really a great gift. I love to create documents, which I post here on my blog for free. I started using it and immediately fell in love with it. I love all Apple Products but this takes the prize!! 
One of the apps I was interested in was one called "Procreate". This is an app for people who love to draw. Many use it to create PNG Stickers, planner stickers, etc. I decided to download it. It's a 10.00 app. I realized that it's way more than I needed BUT, still, I love it. I found Ipad Lettering by accident. It's an art form of lettering that I really like. The investment was minimal and I get to work the creative side of my brain. I never really thought I was the "creative" type but as I get older, I realize... I am. 

I was finding it a little overwhelming to learn modern calligraphy. I'm 50, so learning these new things can be tough. I knew that If I stuck with it, that I'd eventually get the hang of it. As I was learning, I came across a website, Ipad Lettering. She had these colorful, learning sheets for Procreate. This peaked my interest. I watched her video about them and knew that this is what I needed. The brush that comes with them for Procreate, has two colors that are pressure sensitive. This 
helps you to see where you are pressing too hard, or too softly. I waited a few days and decided to take the plunge.  I was really enjoying it, when my 11 y/o daughter saw me and asked to try it. There went my Ipad. She was doing it, we were like two children fighting over a new toy. Then, I had a moment of genius!!! (It's rare, but when it happens, it's great). 
If Sarah was enjoying caligraphy , perhaps David would enjoy learning his cursive?? I downloaded some cursive sheets into Procreate, showed him the brush. He picked two colors, reluctantly. After all, it was, as he said, "Stupid". ( I guess we need more work on attitude?). He started writing and again....I lost my Ipad. He was immediately drawn to the colors and loves playing with the different pressures. He now has fun selecting different colors and playing with tip size. All this while learning cursive. I'd say that is a win!!! 

On her website, Ipad Lettering, She has an "Ipad Lettering Starter Kit", This includes a sheet to practice with and a Brush for Procreate. (Click on the link ) She also has some other free pages to practice with. 

If you decide to go for the rainbow brush, she has a set of brushes, OR you can buy the Rainbow practice brush, as I did with the sheets to practice on. I have my eye on her rainbow brush collection. 

I love the idea of importing in the documents to help the kids. Another idea i'm going to try, is importing in maps for my children to trace over. We are currently drawing all the countries of Africa. I think i'm going to try to find a detailed map for them to trace in Procreate. 

I've included a quick video, very poorly made to show you quickly how the brush works with Procreate. This is good for those who need a visual, like me. 


**Before I get emails telling me that I can create my own dual-colored rainbow brushes in Procreate, I DO KNOW THAT. I even know HOW to do it. I just don't always have the time to play around with the settings AND I like to support other women and other work at home moms. 

**Subscribe and look for my February Planner Covers/Inserts and my February Weekly Poster
Coming up next.... Covers and Inserts for March! 

Happy Teaching, 


Imperfect wife, Mother & Follower of Christ




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Back to School 2022!!