Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Can We Talk Curriculum?? Reviews??

I have two adult children that I homeschooled through high school. 
Can we talk curriculum reviews?? 
In the 20+ years that i've been homeschooling, i've tried many, many curriculums. Different types, different styles, different prices, etc. 

When I started homeschooling, I had many STRONG opinions. Which is really funny, considering I had very little experience. 

That is the reason for this post. 
With 20+ years of experience what i've learned is what i'm going to share. 

Ready? 
I don't know that much. Yup.. The older I get, the less I know. 
Also, 
There is NO bad curriculum. 
I'm going to say that again. 

THERE IS NO BAD CURRICULUM!!! 

I've used, Alpha Omega lifepacs, switched on schoolhouse, Sonlight, My Father's World, Bob Jones, Abeka, Logic of English, Teaching Text Books, Math-u-see, Kahn Academy, Easy Peasy Online, Singapore Math, Apologia Science, Hooked on Phonics, Teach your child to read in 100 Lessons, Funnix, Usborne, Clartias Press Academy, Classical Conversations, Accelerated Christian Education, Story of the World, IEW, Notgrass history... and i'm sure there are more that i'm forgetting. 

Have you seen that list?? WOW!!! 
Here is what I will say. Some of those worked very well for us. Others didn't. Are they bad?? No! They simply didn't work for us, or if they did work, it was for only one of my children. 

I have found that I was using a curriculum incorrectly.I have found that a curriculum that EVERYONE hates (ACE), has been the best for us. I have found that a curriculum that is very popular at the time, that everyone LOVED ( MFW) was horrible for us. It's easy for me to say, "Oh that's a bad curriculum"...but the fact is, it's not!!!
 I have found that many with strong opinions don't have the experience to back up their beliefs. 
(I am very guilty of this.) 

There are many factors that go into teaching our children and the curriculum we select. The first is the parent. 
1. What will work for the parent and what is easy to implement. 
If the curriculum is easy to use, the chances of the teacher being faithful and homeschooling being successful rises. 

2. Price- If a curriculum is expensive and you don't want to spend the money, That does NOT make the curriculum bad. I love Sonlight, I find it expensive yet I think nothing of paying for CC. There is no one answer here. 

3. What works for my child?? Children? 
I have 4 different children and that means 4 different learners. 
Yup... They ALL learn differently. 
Also, one may struggle at a younger age and then completely change their learning style at another age. (My 3rd child did this ) 
What works for your child one year, may not work the next and vice versa. 

4. What are you looking for? What are you looking to accomplish with your curriculum? 
This is really the toughest one. Many of us need to see the big picture. We're teaching our children HOW To learn. We're teaching them to ask questions, to read, to learn how to calculate the world around them with math. We're teaching them how the natural world works around them with Science. We're igniting a flame!! We're laying a foundation for THEM to build on as they get older. 

As you begin to ask yourself these questions, it's ok to ask for opinions. Stay away from extreme opinions. 

Listen to the details about what worked and didn't work for people. Pray and go with your gut!! 
You will NOT ruin your children if you pick a curriculum that isn't perfect for them. 
You're the teacher. 
You use the curriculum the way you want. 
That means if you don't want to teach something, or you don't like the way it's being taught...you change it. 

In the end, I've realized that it's not about the curriculum but about the process. 

Enjoy your children. Enjoy this time and learn with them!! 
I'm still learning. I hope that I never stop learning. 

In The Love of Our Savior and His Grace, 
Laura 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Back to School 2022!!