Saturday, May 17, 2014

Math - U - See Musings

I've decided to use Math U See this year. I looked at all the others... Singapore, Saxon, AOP, BJU, and truth be told, they are all pretty much the same. What I liked about MUS is that the manipulatives give children a good look at the numbers and how they work together. Yes, the other curriculums like Singapore and Saxon have manipulatives, but they're the same things you can buy in your local walmart. I love the 10 minute dvd's, which not only teaches the students but helps the parents to reteach and explain when needed. Another benefit is that they encourage memorization. ALL curriculum's teach for mastery, It would be hard to find one that says, "Yea, we teach it but we don't care if your child masters it.". The problem is that addition and subtraction are easy to understand conceptually, but I want my child to memorize her addition and subtraction facts. I don't want to see my child in 2nd or 3rd grade counting on her fingers.

The only problem I can see with MUS is storing the Manipulatives. I really didn't want to spend another $50.00 for their wooden box. I did see the tackle box everyone pinned from "The Container Store" but it seemed to me that it wouldn't hold TWO sets of manipulatives, which is what MUS recommends.

I decided to go hunting....I got lucky...I was able to hunt, bag and bring home this baby!!

This is a two-layered container from Michaels craft store. It's from their scrap booking storage line called "Recollections". The top layer has no dividers and hold 8-100's easily and any extra 10's.


The top tray lifts out and under it are sections that you can customize. As you can see, I have 2 full sets of MUS manipulatives in there. The ONLY thing that didn't fit was 2 of the 100's. Not a big deal. This was on sale for 40% off and I paid less than $12.00 for it. Also remember that Michaels honors their teacher discounts for homeschoolers. Just have your idea from your local school group or HSLDA with you.

**The large paper mat that came with the manipulatives is used through out the year....laminate it. I took mine to our local Staples and they laminted both my mats for 4.00. What a great savings. This can be used for multiple children, you can write on them with Dry-erase markers and when I go to sell my set...I'll be able to sell the paper mats with it.

**Another great idea. The workbooks are very thick and although the pages are perforated, they still tend to rip when you tear them out. Staples will cut of the binding for  $2.00. My daughter is a lefty , so this helps her alot.


God Bless and Happy Homeschooling
Laura




4 comments:

  1. Thank you SOOOOOO much! Buying one tomorrow!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a helpful post. I had not thought to laminate the paper, had no idea Michael's had a homeschooler discount, and love the idea of cutting off the binding! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Laura...what are the dimensions of this container...please forgive me if you see my questions posted twice. I wasn't sure whether to place it here on on your Google Profile page. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindsay, I'm sorry. I'm just seeing this now.. For some reason, I don't get any notifications when someone posts to my blog. I've been more diligent to seek them out now. Sorry... Years later.

      Delete

Featured Post

Back to School 2022!!