Thursday, March 19, 2015

Let Them Get Bored!!!

People ask me , "Why do you homeschool?".

There is NOT one answer to that question. I would also say that my reasons change from day to day. There are SO many reasons that I love homeschooling, to answer that question in one sentence, really isn't possible.

Lately i've noticed another wonderful reason. I simply LOVE being with my children.

I have watched my friends, now and over the years and homeschooling is actually easier. That's right...I said it. "It's easier!"

My friends are always exhausted, stressed and running around. They're always "busy" and seem to be spinning their wheels but not really getting anywhere. Ever feel that way??

When I ask them ,"Why are you so busy"....Here is a quick condensed version of their day..... (Paraphrasing of course)

*****************************
I wake up, get the kids up, feed them breakfast, get them dressed, on the bus...then I clean up, get dressed.....do the laundry, clean, grocery shopping, runnning errands, ad nauseum.

Then the kids come home, we have home work, dance, sports, cheerleading..... (Fill in the blank).

Dinner , bath time, bed time....then wake up the next day and start all over.
*****************************

WOW!! i'm exhausted just listening to that list!!!

My next question to them is, "When do you get to spend time, just talking and being with your children?"
Their answers are usally one of two...

1. We don't!!!!
2. We chat in the car, on the way to (Extra curricular activity/ doctor/ store... ) , After school , during homework, During dinner, During bathtime, right before bed.

Huh??

You are multi-tasking your child's life away!! Either you don't get time with them, or you ONLY get time if you multi-task.

Let me type that out again:   You are multi-tasking your child's life away!!

The sad part is that our society has called this "Normal". Not only "Normal" But we've justified it.

*"I keep my kids busy so they don't get into trouble".
*"I want to offer them every opportunity"
*"I like them to socialize."
*"I don't want them to be bored"
*And the biggest lie ever!!!********"It's quality not quantity. "
We fool ourselves into thinking that this is the "Right" way. That our children don't "need" us. After all , we're raising them to be independent people!!

Here's the sad reality.....Your children are going to grow up and you're going to realize that you MISSED IT!!! You've multi-tasked your child's life away and now their teenagers and they're the independent kids you wanted!!!...only.....You realize that you're not important to them. Sure they love you, but you're not the influence you thought you'd be. Many will look at their teens and think, "Who are you?? "

I'm not saying that everyone should home school. What i'm saying is that you MUST make time. Kids NEED some down time. They NEED boredom. I love when my kids are bored. Do you know what they find in the yard?? They find "New species of bugs". They find fossils. Sarah will run in and say, "Mom, we found this insect. I think it's a new species!! Can you Google this up?" Children need time to be children. We live in a society that has lowered it's expectations for their chidren. They don't clean or even have responsibilities at home. IF they do , it's very few, because parents "Want their children to be children."

If that's the case, then why schedule EVERY * MINUTE * OF * THEIR * LIVES?

Give them time to run, play , get dirty....let  them get BORED!! They use their imaginations when they're bored!! I LOVE BORED!!!

Enjoy your children!! Watch them in the yard!! Listen to them play!!
STOP MULTI-TASKING their childhood away. Let them be kids!!

May God Bless you with many boring days!
Laura (wife, mother and grandmother)
Loving, Learning and Leaning on Christ








No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Back to School 2022!!