Sunday, December 21, 2008

Home Binder 101

People have asked about how you make a House Binder. Some have asked me what a House Binder is. Here is the answer to that....
A house binder is a binder where I keep all my daily schedules, important documents, menus..basically what I use to run my home. It's a central brain for the home...so-to-speak.
Here is how to make one.

Here is how to get started:
First you need to purchase a 3-ring binder. I would purchase one that is at least 3". Even if you don't think you'll need one that big...I would still purchase it..you'll fill it up.

The binders I purchase are white with a clear pocket in the front. This is what you can slip your personalized/decorated paper into. Second, you need to personalize your binder. Make sure it's something that makes you smile. It can be what you want. Mine has our name on it "Paulsen Family", with one of my favorite scriptures from Proverbs. I also printed out something to decorate the side of my binder too. You can even have the little ones draw pics and slip them in there.

Now what I did was make a list of the sections that I wanted. I worked on this list for quite a few days so that I was sure that I had everything I could think of. Pray and see if the Lord shows you anything you can use.

Here are my sections with a brief explanation:

Daily Schedule:
This is a daily schedule that I'm doing with 1/2 hour increments. I am reading the book, "Managers of the Home" aka MOTH and I'm trying to implement this schedule. This schedule will really be completed in August once the new baby is here...my dd has her college/work schedule and my ds has his work schedule. I'm still schooling him. I have a schedule for three parts of the day...Morning, Afternoon and Evening. I also have a Chore schedule for each one. I place it behind each schedule...Morning chores behind Morning Schedule. This schedule should stay the same, unless your dealing with an infant...who's schedule changes. Also this is a help because you have a section for each person. So I can look in the book and see that my dd is in class today from 9-11 am and then going to work. They can also see that mom is doing some sewing today from 4-5.
If you're interested in the MOTH book: http://www.titus2.com/

Appointments:
This section is for those activities that need to be added to your schedule but only for one day or on a temp. Basis. Like Dr. Appointments, service appointment , parties etc. So if my dd wants to know if a friend can sleep over, I'll have her look at the appointment section and let me know if there is anything scheduled that day.

Weekly Menu:
This is just what it is...a weekly menu..I have a document with breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. This way in the morning I can look and see what needs to be taken out to be defrosted and it also helps for when I'm grocery shopping. I stick to the menu and it helps me to not do too much impulse shopping. Also, the dc know whats for dinner and I like not having to think about it. I actually do a 4 week menu and do a large grocery shopping once a month. I posted a blog about menu planning.

**I just wanted to say...it's great to have a schedule and menu's however, you should not be held in bondage to any of those. Use them as guides and learn to go with the flow when necessary. For instance, this week we've been very busy. So there were actually 3 meals that I ended up not making because we were out. So I'm just circling them and I can use them for next month. Also with the schedule...if you are on schedule and someone needs some help, then allowing some flexibility in your schedule will help to facilitate that.

Grocery List:
This is where I jot down those items that I need, so that I don't forget. I also have a pencil case in there. The kind that you would put in your binder. I put all coupons in there so that I don't forget to take them with me to the grocery store. I grab the list and the coupons. Also, this is great because all family members can just jot down when they've used the last of an item. Just so you know...Older children will jot down what they think you should buy...this is ok, because I just ignore it.

Lesson Plan:
This is a document that I can type or write in what my ds has to do. It has a box for every subject, I even have a box so that I can jot down his work hours and any time spent exercising. He is in 11th grade so I have to keep detailed records. Also, he can look at it and see what he has to do for the day. Sometimes I type in what he has to do for the week and if I'm busy, I just write in what he has done on a daily basis.

Grades:
This is where I keep track of my ds's grades and attendance. I'm not using SL this year. So he has quizzes and tests.

Phone Numbers:
This is where I keep a list of phone numbers. It's easy to get to and everyone knows where it is.

Bible & Prayer:
This is where I keep my bible reading plan and any prayer requests. Again, everything is in one place. I also keep inside my binder any books I'm reading too. Like right now I'm reading Kay Arthur's "Daniel".

The last thing I have is a plastic folder that I can keep my ds's tests in. The curriculum he is using has a test every month.

Also in the front of the inside cover of the binder should have a pocket. This is what I use to keep paperwork that would other wise end up on the front of the fridge. Very convenient and doesn't fall off.

I've made alot of different documents for my binder...Lesson plan, menu's, shopping lists, attendance sheets...etc. If you are interested just email me: Mother4Jesus@gmail.com

What I use to separate each section is sheet protectors...I insert a decorated page for that section...use a stick on Tab divider and there is my separator. You decorate each section as you see fit. I used the same design but with different scriptures for each section.
Here are some pics so you can see what i've done.

This is the front of our binder.

This is a side view

This is our divider for our weekly menu's. As you can see, i've used the same theme as the front.

This is my weekly menu!

I'm sure you're getting the idea. Make it fun! Make it YOUR WAY!!

God Bless,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Back to School 2022!!