Saturday, December 20, 2008

Cooking in Bulk

Some refer to this as "Once a Month Cooking". I don't refer to it like that. The reason I don't...I call it "bulk" cooking because the meals I make usually last much longer then one month.
Cooking in bulk is a great idea to help save money, ease your time in the kitchen and to help with meals when some one is in need. Remember, our homes are our ministry and helping others is part of that.

Some things to consider:
How much room do you have?
What meals do you want to make?
How can I save money?

How much room do you have?
This is an important one. If you don't have much room, then you can't cook in bulk the way I do. You can still cook and freeze,but not the volume you'd like. What I would do if you are only dealing with a regular freezer, I would make some extra pancakes for the following week...make a double batch of what you are making that week. So that the next week you won't have to cook as much. You'll actually have a heavier cook week and a lighter cook week. This is what I did when we were first married.
If you have alot of room...an extra freezer..then you are in good shape. Just remember to use what you have frozen. ALways rotate your meats.

What meals do you want to make?
This is where it'll be different for every family.
Here is a list of what i've cooked and frozen in the past. I don't keep these all at the same time. keep in mind that I do cook and freeze with alot of seasonal items as well as everyday meals.
Bread (Fresh milled, hard white)
Pancakes(Fresh milled Ezekiel)
Muffins(Fresh milled Ezekiel, assorted flavors)
Chicken Soup
Beef Stew
Chilli
Pasta Sauce w/ meat
Pasta sauce w/o meat
Butternut squash soup
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Cheedar & Broccoli soup
Pumpkin soup
Mashed Pumkin (Great way to not use the canned pumpkin)
Home made butter
Chicken & Beef Broth (Home made)
Baked Ziti
Egg Plant Parmesan

This seems like alot , but remember that I don't have all of these made at the same time.
What's great about having these made is that I can focus on the extra items with dinner. For ex. : when I make the chilli, I'll add some cheese to it and salad, but I can also make some cheddar cheese biscuits with it. I don't have to focus on the main dish. I'm also able to control the ingredients. I use all natural beef and organic beans. This is better then using canned chilli. I also use my chili to make a nacho dip with sour cream and cheese.
The same holds true for the soups. When I make the home made soups there is alot of work that goes into it, but once it's done and I freeze the meals, then I can concentrate on the sides that go with it. For chicken soup i'll make rice and some home make biscuits for the stew i'll make noodles and garlic biscuits.
Having the pumpkin, squash and sweet potatoes made and mashed is a great way to keep from using the canned versions and are great to make soups, breads and biscuits with.

How can I save money?
This of couse is the idea behind bulk cooking.
First, by having the meals made and simple to defrost and use, it keeps you from doing any last minute take out. This is what really saves us money. If i'm having a busy day..I don't have time to cook and I was the queen for take-out. I have to confess...I will still order out the day that I do our monthly grocery shopping. I'm too tired to even defrost on those days. So eating take-out once a month is much better then once a week.
Buying whats on sale and using it...that is what I did when I found Polly-o ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese on sale. I couldn't believe what a great price...It was limit 4. I purchased ALL 4! I made 4 large trays of baked ziti and froze it. It came in handy when our church needed some meals for our youth missionaries. What a blessing it was that I could just pull it out of my freezer and warm up for them.
I also am able to buy what's in season. I love fresh pumpkin. I love pumkin soup and squash soups. I also love make bread with them. Getting them on sale during season and then mashing them. I have the puree ready for when I need. It's a nice treat during the winter..pumpkin soup with pumpkin biscuits..yummy.
Having the chili made has saved me on more then one occasion. I have a son who is 16...he also has friends...who all eat!! alot!! Many times they've come home after football...hungry. I whip out the chilli, add some cheese and they are all happy and eating. (I make them clean up)
The ways to save money are endless. The way it helps to keep the stress of meals down is wonderful...being able to be a blessing to anyone who needs a meal..............Priceless!

"She considers a field and buys it ; from her profits she plants a vineyard. She girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms. She perceives that her merchandise is good and her lamp does not go out by night."
Proverbs 31:16-18
God Bless,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Back to School 2022!!